We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
||Career and Academic Success Coach - 998949
||Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
||Full Time with Full Benefits
|Subject to Grant Funding?:
|Essential Job Functions:
||1. Assesses strengths and weaknesses in students’ academic, career, and personal development by identifying factors that enhance or prevent academic progress, examines alternatives based on changing goals, and interprets non-cognitive assessment results to guide students to establish realistic academic and career goals including developing an Individualized Student Success Plan and Portfolio.
2. Monitors academic progress of students by analyzing progress reports from instructors, determining eligibility and satisfactory progress toward degree, identifying current and potential needs or problem areas; such as helping student’s access college resources, including navigating the student portal to attain self-sufficiency in college transactions in order to support retention; meets or exceeds established retention goals annually.
3. Provides students with information relating to degree programs and concentration options.
4. Counsels students regarding educational issues, such as course and program selection, class scheduling and registration.
5. Develops and delivers workshops, trainings, or other activities related to industry focused cohort needs as well as, conducts and leads group sessions during new student orientations, and Shark Preview.
6. Communicates with student cohort systematically, frequently, and intentionally through multiple methods, including but not limited to face-to-face meetings, group meetings, college-supported technology solutions, e-mail, telephone, text messages, and social media.
7. Provides information, analyzes data, generates written reports regarding their cohort progress as requested and contributes to retention and graduation.
8. Serves as expert in students' field of interest and works in collaboration with the Employer Relations team to develop industry specific opportunities for students. Partners with Employer Relations team, college faculty, and other key partners to identify creative solutions to ensure assigned cohort obtain an industry edge.
9. Interprets and explains University and college policies and procedures.
10. Attends college faculty meetings and acts as college liaison for the Career and Academic Advising Center.
11. Conducts exit interviews with students who withdraw from the college in order to improve current retention plans and develop new plans to address emerging issues.
12. Completes all necessary professional development, including required training offered by the University and Department.
13. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
|Marginal Job Functions:
|Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Psychology - Working knowledge of human behavior and performance, individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; and learning and motivation.
2. Therapy and Counseling - Working knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
3. English Language - General knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
4. Education and Training - Working knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
5. Customer and Personal Service - General knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of user satisfaction.
1. Active Listening - Proficient skills in giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
2. Speaking - Proficient skills in talking to others to convey information effectively.
3. Reading Comprehension - Proficient understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
4. Social Perceptiveness - Proficient skills in being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
5. Critical Thinking - Proficient skills in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
6. Writing - Proficient skills in communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
7. Judgment and Decision Making - Proficient skills in considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the appropriate one.
8. Active Learning - Proficient skills in understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem solving and decision-making.
9. Complex Problem Solving - Proficient skills in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
10. Service Orientation - Proficient skills in actively looking for ways to help people.
1. Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
2. Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
3. Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (including finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
4. Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
1. Speech Recognition - Must be able to identify and understand the speech of another person.
2. Speech Clarity - Must be able to speak clearly so others can understand you.
3. Near Vision - Must be able to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
4. May be required to work nights or weekends.
5. Travel - Must be able to travel on a daily and/or overnight basis.
6. May be exposed to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties.
7. May be required to accomplish job duties using various types of equipment/supplies, to include but not limited to pens, pencils, and computer keyboards.
|Major (if required):
||1. One (1) year experience working with young adults or college students in a counseling capacity.
2. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
||1. Master’s Degree
2. Experience as an Academic Advisor or Career Advisor.
|Is this a safety sensitive position?
|Background Screening Required?
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation.
||Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.