We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
||Financial Aid Counselor I - 998091
||Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
||Full Time with Full Benefits
|Subject to Grant Funding?:
|Essential Job Functions:
||1. Reviews student accounts for completion, accuracy and adjustments in accordance with federal financial aid regulations, state statutes, and institutional guidelines.
2. Provides counseling and advisement services to prospective and current students and parents relative to financial aid, registration, student accounts, recruitment, admissions and transfer credits.
3. Conducts financial aid presentations and workshops for prospective and current students. Financial aid workshops are held at both local and out of area locations, both in person and via tele or video conference, and may be held in the evenings and weekends.
4. Performs a variety of financial aid duties to ensure that students maintain financial aid eligibility, as required by the United States Department of Education.
5. Serves as a key liaison with undergraduate and graduate admission offices regarding recruitment, housing and residential life, cost of attendance, scholarships, student employment, payment plans and other financial aid matters.
6. Communicates directly with academic units regarding registration issues for students requesting financial aid.
7. Attends and participates in workshops and meetings as it relates to financial aid.
8. Participates in annual undergraduate student housing initiative providing one on one counseling to First Time-In-College students and parents that includes student outreach and an educational overview of financial obligations.
9. Accesses federal, state and/or private platforms to review and report student information.
10. Works evening and weekends as requested.
11. Completes other projects as required.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
|Marginal Job Functions:
||1. Prepares reports as requested by the Financial Aid senior management.
2. Travels to and participates in job related meetings, conferences, and workshops.
|Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Financial Aid - Through knowledge of federal and state financial aid regulations.
Clerical - Thorough knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
2. Customer and Personal Service - Working knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of user satisfaction.
3. General knowledge of MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
1. Critical Thinking - Proficient skills in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
2. Service Orientation - Proficient skills in actively looking for ways to help people.
3. Self-Direction - Proficient skills in motivating oneself to work independently, as well as working well within teams.
4. Complex Problem Solving - Proficient skills in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
5. Time Management - Proficient skills in managing one's own time and the time of others.
6. Judgment and Decision Making - Proficient skills in considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the appropriate one.
1. Detail Oriented - The ability to pay attention to details, understand underlying cause/effect relationships, and account for those details and relationships.
2. Oral Comprehension & Expression - The ability to listen to, understand, and communicate information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences so others will understand.
3. Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
4. Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (including finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
5. Ability to maintain confidential information.
6. Ability to work flexible hours in the evenings and weekends.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
1. Speech Recognition - Must be able to identify and understand the speech of another person.
2. Speech Clarity - Must be able to speak clearly so others can understand you.
3. Near Vision - Must be able to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
4. May be required to work nights or weekends.
5. Travel - Must be able to travel on a daily and/or overnight basis.
6. May be exposed to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties.
7. May be required to accomplish job duties using various types of equipment/supplies, to include but not limited to pens, pencils, mobile devices, and computer keyboards.
||Prior to submitting your application:
Ensure your application is accurate and up to date
Complete the entire application
Provide only professional references
|Major (if required):
||1. Two (2) years of financial aid work experience
|Is this a safety sensitive position?
|Background Screening Required?
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation.
||Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.