We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
||Research Associate II - 992877
||Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
||Full Time with Full Benefits
|Subject to Grant Funding?:
|Essential Job Functions:
||1. Helps develop, design, and conduct research projects according to plan.
2. Participates in formulating research methods and suggesting options for improving quality and recommending solutions.
3. Participates in computer database design and utilization and research/data analysis and suggests future improvements in data management.
4. Oversees day to day operations. May supervise support personnel and/or manage budget.
5. Evaluates experiment results using statistical and multivariate analysis.
6. Uses computers, computer-interfaced equipment, robotics or high-technology industrial applications to perform work duties.
7. Sets up, adjusts, calibrates, cleans, maintains and troubleshoots laboratory and field equipment.
8. Acts as specialist on research methods and equipment functions.
9. May participate in publication of significant results.
10. May assist in writing extramural proposals.
11. Understands and interprets research protocols and procedures.
12. Advances expertise through education, training, and/or research experience.
13. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
|Marginal Job Functions:
|Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
2. Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
3. English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
4. Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications
1. Reading Comprehension - Proficient understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
2. Active Listening - Proficient skills in giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to under the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
3. Critical Thinking - Proficient skills in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
4. Science - Proficient skills using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
5. Complex Problem Solving - Proficient skills in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
6. Active Learning - Proficient skills in understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
7. Judgment and Decision Making - Proficient skills in considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the appropriate one.
8. Speaking - Proficient skills in talking to others to convey information effectively.
9. Systems Analysis – Proficient skills in determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
1. Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (including finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
2. Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
3. Selective Attention - The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.
4. Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
5. Category Flexibility - The ability to generate or use different sets of rules for combining or grouping things in different ways.
6. Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
7. Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
8. Ability to safely and effectively handle small boats.
1. Near Vision - Must be able to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
2. Speech Clarity - Must be able to speak clearly so others can understand you.
3. Speech Recognition - Must be able to identify and understand the speech of another person.
4. May be exposed to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties.
5. May be required to accomplish job duties using various types of equipment/supplies, to include but not limited to pens, pencils, and computer keyboards.
||1. Must obtain within three (3) days of hire a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) issued Florida Boating Safety Education Identification Card (only required for boat operators who were born on or after January 1, 1988 as per State of Florida Law).
2. SCUBA certification.
3. Must obtain within four (4) weeks of hire an AAUS certification.
|Major (if required):
||In related field
||One (1) lo three (3) years of experience in en academic or research environment.
||Completion of a United States Coast Guard Auxiliary (USCG AUX) Boating Safety course.
|Is this a safety sensitive position?
|Background Screening Required?
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation.
||Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.