We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
||Director - Strategic Financial Operations - 991706
||Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
||Full Time with Full Benefits
||Commensurate with experience
|Subject to Grant Funding?:
|Essential Job Functions:
||1. Supports the VP/CFO in interfacing with various Financial Operations units (financial planning/analysis/budgeting, financial systems, treasury, and the controller’s office) and other university academic and administrative units, including business/finance officers and deans and vice presidents, in leading special projects, establishing protocols, providing training, and serving as an advisory resource.
2. Evaluates, coordinates, executes, and/or provides support for special projects and initiatives such as:
a. Complex business proposals/agreements or new processes;
b. New accounting or reporting requirements;
c. Changes in processes arising from new or changing regulations or standards impacting financial operations; and
d. Various internal accounting, reporting, business process enhancements, and cycle driven projects.
3. Assists the Controller and other unit leaders with:
a. Developing/evaluating/maintaining accounting policies and procedures, including coordination of comprehensive manual refreshes and ensuring internal control documentation is sufficiently detailed;
b. Streamlining and establishing protocols for maintaining the general ledger chart of accounts, supporting the proper capture and recognition of financial transactions in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and other requirements, while maximizing efficiency (considering volume, materiality, and various reporting considerations);
c. Evaluating business/financial processes and driving enhancements, as appropriate, supporting efficiency and university-wide consistency in design and application, while contributing to a strong system of internal controls;
d. Conducting targeted compliance reviews and follow-up activities; and
e. Collaborating with units across the organization in prioritizing initiatives, planning and coordinating resources, and establishing timelines.
4. Develops strategies for executive consideration and action; as directed, may initiate, facilitate, and/or coordinate new process design or existing process redesign to address evolving accounting, financial, or other institutional reporting needs or in support of organizational efficiency goals.
5. Serves as a technical accounting and compliance resource to business/finance managers with respect to external regulations and university policies and procedures; conducts targeted training and development.
6. Serves Financial Operations unit leaders as a consultative subject matter expert and quality-control reviewer with respect to (i) analyzing, improving, and implementing policies and procedures, contributing to a strong system of internal controls; (ii) evaluating business plans, proposed transactions, financial statements/forecasts/internal and external reports; (iii) evaluating technical accounting matters, analysis, and documentation related thereto.
7. Assists in risk-management analyses and provides recommendations.
8. Represents the VP/CFO and Financial Operations on university committees, recommending and developing strategies and goals to meet university objectives.
9. Sponsors programs for cross-training, development, and succession planning. Serves as back-up for Financial Operations leaders, as directed.
10. Supervises assigned staff, as applicable, to include hiring, mentoring, conducting performance evaluations, approving annual leave, orientation of new employees, and motivating employees to use professional development resources.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
|Marginal Job Functions:
||On occasion, travel to off-campus sites to discuss or review accounting matters or attend meetings or conferences.
|Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Comprehensive understanding of business and management principles, leadership techniques, and coordination of people and resources.
2. Expert in not-for-profit GAAP and internal control design
3. Thorough understanding of complex accounting information systems and business processes
4. Advanced knowledge of MS applications; must be highly proficient in Excel
Skills and Abilities:
1. Advanced Critical Thinking - Advanced skills in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
2. Judgment and Decision Making - Advanced skills in considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the appropriate one.
3. Complex Problem Solving - Advanced skills in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
4. Excellent organizational and operational/project management skills as well as excellence in written and oral communication.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated leadership qualities necessary to build and sustain cooperative working relationships across a complex and diverse organization.
6. Detail orientated with exceptional analytical acumen, documentation techniques, and technical accounting skills.
7. Highly proficient in Excel and financial modeling.
8. Ability to work with large data sets to identify, extract, analyze, and present the information in a meaningful and concise manner.
||Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
||MBA or master’s degree in Accounting or Finance
|Major (if required):
||1. Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant, not-for-profit accounting experience
2. Minimum of five (5) years of senior managerial experience in a large and complex organization
||1. Higher education experience
2. Public accounting experience
|Is this a safety sensitive position?
|Background Screening Required?
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation.
||Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.