Returning users, please use the button below to sign-in:
Job Number: 504204
Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Department: Library Research Tech Center
Categories: Library Services
We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
|Job Title:||Librarian I - Cataloging - 997430|
|Location:||Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida|
|Work Type:||Full Time with Full Benefits|
|Subject to Grant Funding?:||No|
|Essential Job Functions:||1. Provides original and adaptive cataloging for academic and public library monographic and serial records for materials and resources in a variety of print, electronic, media and special formats.
2. Responsible for the matching of new materials with their MARC records in the OCLC database. This includes copy cataloging and adaptive cataloging.
3. Oversees record loads. Downloads vendor records into NovaCat, making sure they are integrated into the catalog with no errors or conflicts with existing records.
4. Maintains and upgrades bibliographic, authority, and holdings records in NovaCat, and creates bibliographic records not found in OCLC databases for inclusion in NovaCat, resolving record conflicts and working with other catalogers, as needed.
5. Maintains the authority control process which standardizes name, subject, series, and uniform titles headings. These records allow staff to maintain consistent headings in the catalog and generate cross references that aid in searching the catalog.
6. Updates and maintains OCLC Serials Union List.
7. Participates in forming and reviewing cataloging policies and procedures determining appropriate guidelines in applying rules for MARC, subject heading, and various classification used by the NSU libraries.
8. Maintains current knowledge for the OCLC cataloging system as upgrades are implemented.
9. Keeps up-to-date with library policies, and works cooperatively with other Cataloging Librarian, library assistant catalogers, and other library departments to resolve conflicts in the procedures.
10. Maintains current knowledge of cataloging medatada and standards.
11. Recatalogs, correcting errors and withdrawing materials as needed.
12. Project manager for distinct cataloging projects.
13. Assesses outsourced cataloging and technical processing work.
14. Responsible for preservation of library materials. Trains and supervises work in the use of acceptable preservation techniques.
15. Serves on various library committees and provides recommendations for the improvement and streamlining of library services.
16. Hires, trains, and supervises student personnel in processing library materials and/or appropriate book repair techniques.
17. May be expected to assume responsibility for supervision of volunteers and /or student employees.
|Marginal Job Functions:||1. Oversees special projects and statistical reports and surveys as needed or assigned.
2. Attends library-related functions/events; serve on SEFLIN committees, as needed.
3. Maintains professional status by reading and attending workshops.
4. May assist OCLC system administrator with responsibilities for the OCLC system database.
5. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
|Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:||1. Knowledge and understanding of library principles, practices and techniques.
2. Current computer skills, including online searching.
3. Ability to express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
|Required Education:||Master's Degree|
|Major (if required):||Masters of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school.|
|Is this a safety sensitive position?||No|
|Background Screening Required?||Yes|
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation.
|Sensitivity Disclaimer:||Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.|
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time