Returning users, please use the button below to sign-in:
Job Number: 504973
Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Department: FOP-Treasury Operations
Categories: Accounting, Finance, Budgeting, Auditing, Risk Management, & Payroll
We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
|Job Title:||Associate Controller I - 999890|
|Location:||Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida|
|Work Type:||Full Time with Full Benefits|
|Hiring Range:||Commensurate with experience|
|Subject to Grant Funding?:||No|
|Essential Job Functions:||1. Supports the Treasurer in managing routine treasury operations processes including monthly cash and investment reconciliations; transfers among bank accounts, liquidity monitoring and cash forecasting; accounting and reporting for cash and investments and the university’s debt portfolio; establishment of new and ongoing maintenance of existing accounts and processes to support organizational needs while optimizing efficiency.
2. Supervises staff, including hiring, mentoring, conducting performance evaluations, approving annual leave, orientation of new employees, and motivating employees to use professional development resources.
3. Assesses treasury accounting processes with goals of continuous improvement in automation, productivity, and service, while ensuring strong internal controls. Initiates, facilitates, and/or coordinates process redesign, where appropriate and in relation to functional areas assigned, to address evolving needs, and enhance operational efficiencies.
4. Assists in maintaining comprehensive policies and procedures with controls designed to safeguard assets and ensure compliance with applicable requirements and regulations.
5. Assists the Treasurer in monitoring daily flow of funds and cash balances, effecting transfers between accounts to ensure payment obligations are met while optimizing returns; monitors short- and long-term cash forecasts and prepares weekly and monthly cash/investment reports.
6. Coordinates reconciliation workflow, scheduling, productivity and quality control; prepares and/or reviews all monthly bank/investment reconciliations and facilitates and/or provides assistance with timely and proper resolution of outstanding items.
7. Prepares and reviews journal entries; oversees various treasury accounting activities for the month end closing process and preparation of internal reports, review and analysis. This includes reconciliation of various balance sheet accounts entailing in-depth analyses of underlying data and investigating of account details, as appropriate.
8. Manages record-keeping activities for gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts and unitrusts.
9. Assists in completion of investment subscription and other documents or agreements, as directed.
10. Conducts meetings with various staff and/or colleagues within the greater university community to ensure understanding of and ongoing compliance with policies and procedures.
11. Assists with debt administration and post-issuance compliance; facilitates debt-related accounting and reporting requirements.
12. Supports the Controller as the technical accounting subject matter expert within treasury; collaborates with other Associate Controllers and Accounting Directors in achievement of overall Financial Operations departmental goals.
13. Develops staff accountants in preparing reconciliations, work papers and account analysis, and documentation thereof. Participates in cross-training, development, and support for other general accounting and treasury related activities.
14. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
|Marginal Job Functions:||May travel to attend meetings or conferences.|
|Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:||1. Advanced knowledge of MS applications, including Excel and Access.
2. Understanding of complex accounting information systems.
3. Strong GAAP accounting expertise; with not-for-profit knowledge.
4. Knowledge of procedural controls and data validation techniques.
5. Independent worker and analytical thinker with an ability to conduct research, data analysis, and resolve complex problems.
6. Excellent organization and project management skills.
7. Ability to introduce and manage change in a positive manner and motivate others to willingly follow; ability to build and sustain strong working relationships across a complex and diverse organization.
8. Detail oriented with strong analytical, documentation, and technical accounting skills.
9. Ability to work with large data sets to identify, extract, analyze, and present the information in a meaningful manner.
|Required Certifications/Licensures:||Certified Public Accountant (CPA).|
|Required Education:||Bachelor's Degree|
|Major (if required):||Accounting or Finance|
|Required Experience:||Five (5) years relevant experience (similar or closely related position), including three years of supervisory/management experience.
|Preferred Qualifications:||Higher-education accounting/finance experience.|
|Is this a safety sensitive position?||No|
|Background Screening Required?||Yes|
|Sensitivity Disclaimer:||Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.|
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time